Virtual Schooling Is A Disaster: How Our Children Are At A Disadvantage With Each Passing Day
Let’s call it what it is: virtual schooling is a disaster.
Our children are at a disadvantage since virtual schooling entered their lives. While thousands of school districts have gone back to in-person learning, our children here in Wake County continue to be left behind and at a disadvantage with the rest of the nation. The writing is on the wall, but we won’t really know how far behind our kids will be until they return. This will have an economic and social impact years down the road. Part of what makes in-person classroom a success is routine and structure, which is what is definitely missing in virtual schooling.
“While thousands of school districts have gone back to in-person learning, our children here in Wake County continue to be left behind and at a disadvantage with the rest of the nation.”
During this time, some parents have brought to my attention several apps that their children have been using to help during class. The temptation to cheat has always been present in the classroom, but how easy is it for our students to cheat in a virtual environment? As most of you know, cameras aren’t required during virtual schooling in Wake County so there’s no accountability with the students. Yes, students had access to these apps before, but how much easier is it for them to take advantage of these apps now? Especially for the ones who are emotionally struggling. Students who are A/B students, but now see themselves failing for the first time. Frustration and the mental anguish that we have put on our children during this virtual time is not right.
Virtual Schooling Is A Disaster
Here are five homework-help apps and sites that can either give students all the answers or provide much-needed support:
- PhotoMath. This app reads and solves mathematical problems instantly by using the camera of your mobile device. Check your work for any printed or handwritten problems. The student can scan a math problem for instant help.
- EssayBot. With your essay title, EssayBot suggests most relevant contents. It paraphrases for you to erase plagiarism concerns. Now with smart citation finder!
- SparkNotes. This app is a resource a student can turn to when they don’t understand their teacher, their textbooks make no sense, and they have to read sixteen chapters by tomorrow.
- Mathaway. On the home screen you can enter an Algebra problem. Mathway is the #1 problem solving resource available for students, parents, and teachers.
- Socratic. This app works for all subjects. Socratic was built to support Science, Math, Literature, Social Studies, and more.
How parents can help: Understand what these apps do and how you can HELP your child. Take advantage of the free explanations to really drill down on trouble spots.
Virtual schooling has been hard on parents and children alike, and there’s no doubt that our kids need to go back to school. When our children do go back to in-person instruction, I think our teachers are going to be astonished how far behind their students are. We as parents need to support our children, empathize them, and help them.